Yes, split ends can seem like the end of the world because they are so stubborn to get rid of, aren’t they?
Causes of Split End
- Exposure of hair to excessive heat, dust and pollution
- Over-washing your tresses
- Excessive use of hair-styling products like straighteners, curlers and chemical products like serums, sprays and dry shampoos
- Irregular oiling of hair
- Washing your hair with hot water
- Not getting your hair trimmed regularly
- Chemical treatments including perming and hair coloring
- Exposure to hard water including chlorinated swimming pools
Split End Prevention Tips & Home Remedies
1. Stick with hair shears
First and foremost, never use paper scissors to cut hair when you’re trying a DIY haircut. These scissors will cause fraying, which in turn will lead to split ends. Hair shears are sharp and do less damage to your hair.
2. Egg mask
Eggs are known to nourish and condition hair, making it smooth and thereby easier to remove split ends. Use the following mask remove split ends:
- Whisk together the yolk of 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of honey and about 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Let this mask sit on your hair for approximately half an hour
- Wash it off with cold water and a nice, gentle shampoo. Both Pantene and Head and Shoulders are great options that do the needful without hurting your hair.
3. Hot oil conditioning
This is one of the most tried and tested home remedies for split ends that has been passed on by our ancestors. Simply heat some olive or coconut oil till it is hot but not scalding. Now, gently massage it onto your scalp and let it sit for approximately 1 hour before washing it off with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
Rich in vitamins, anti-oxidants and amino acids, this fruit is great for removing split ends. Use the following hair mask for removing split ends:
At first: Blend together a half cup of yogurt with a ripe papaya till the mixture achieves a thick yet smooth consistency.
Next: Apply it on your hair and let it sit for half an hour
At last: Wash it off with cold water and a nice, gentle shampoo.
Honey, with all its natural goodness, can really remove split ends effectively. The steps to make a thick honey mask for split ends removal is as follows:
Firstly: Make a thick paste using curd and honey and apply it to your hair ends.
Secondly: Leave it on for half an hour
Lastly: Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
6. Lack Lentils
How to Apply?
Make a coarse powder of half a cup of black lentils and one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and blend it with half a cup of curd. Apply this thick paste on your hair and keep it for at least an hour before washing it off with a mild shampoo.