Girls who have colored hair extensions normally because they love colorful locks but do not want to do any harm to their hair with chemical dye. For that reason, if you are going to buy some colored hair bundles or dye the hairpieces yourself, we are so sure that you would like to know how to preserve the shade of your hair extensions.
This article will go from hair dye tips to some suggestions about how to maintain a nice color.
How to color the extensions yourself?
In case you do not want to buy hair bundles that are dyed already but intend to color them by yourself, you should take some important notes as below.
Firstly, you can only color human hair. Synthetic hair extensions cannot be dyed because of plastic and polymer materials. Therefore, if you do not want to pay for human hair, you could buy synthetic hair bundles in the color you want.
Secondly, dying human hair extensions may not always give you exact color you want. For instance, it is hard to turn dark hair into blonde shades unless you do bleaching. The color of your hair bundles should also fit your skin tone and your fashion style.
- The first tip for you: Wash your hair and wait for a couple of days before you dye it. Open cuticles when wet could prevent the color from lasting.
- To get started, you will have a color bowl, and brush, hair color gloves, a wide-toothed comb, plastic wrap, tin foil, and a towel. Prepare your favorite color under the directions.
- In general, each color only needs to be mixed with equal parts of color and developer. The longer your hair bundles are, the more color you will need.
- Be sure to comb out any tangle in the weaves as well. Then apply the dye to each section of your extensions. Use your color brush and gloves. After you have applied the hair dye, allow the hair to process in a plastic wrap at room for about 20-40 minutes.
- After processing, it is time to rinse your hair bundles using cold water at low pressure. Then use a wide-tooth comb to protect your luscious strands from breakage.
What about colored hair bundles maintenance?
When dealing with colored hair extensions, you should be aware of the maintenance required. Hair that is colored and processed requires more support and time than others.
Tip 1: Don’t over-wash the hair
You should keep in mind that the more you shampoo the hair, the more quickly its color comes out. Hence, you had better wash it every 3 days or so. But if you have oily hair that needs more frequent wash, you could use a dry shampoo that will allow you to keep your strands looking good for 3 to 4 days and preserve the color.
Tip 2: Limit the use of hot tools & environmental effects
Straighteners, blow dryers, curling irons and other heat styling tools may cause damage to your hair. However, it is hard to completely get rid of them. So, always set the low or medium heat and spray a heat protectant to minimize the damage.
Hair color shall fade after exposing to too much sunlight, sea salt and swimming pool chlorine. To protect your hair color from all of them, you should use hair products with UV protection and always wear a hat when under the hot summer sun. Also, applying conditioner before jumping in the swimming pool will help prevent chlorinated water from penetrating your colored hair. After swimming, make sure you rinse the hair thoroughly.
Tip 3: Choose proper cleaning products for your hair bundles
It is essential to choose the right products to wash your colored strands and provide the best possible care. Sulfate-free shampoo and conditioners are perfect choices, especially if they also provide with moisture and nutrients. In addition, you are advised to use some natural ingredients to maintain hair dye while or after you color it.
Tip 4: Wrap your colored hair bundles while sleeping
This is one of the most important aspects of lengthening the longevity of your hairpieces. When you go to sleep, make sure you cover your hair at night. Wrap it in the form you wish to have in the morning so that it would require you less time and effort for styling. The hair color, at the same time, will be well preserved.
It is harder to maintain your colored hair bundles than your natural hair, of course. But you could always find solutions for a problem if you are smart and patient enough.